Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Religious Technicality

My crazy religious studies prof was explaining to our class yesterday that in the Hindu religion there are classes and castes. The classes are broken down into 4 groups, but the castes he says, are seemingly endless. Castes are something you're born into, and tend to be things like professions or skills. He gave us some examples, being a black smith, a baker, or even being a prostitute or a thief. I mean, that really had to suck for people following the Hindu faith way back in the day when they realized that their "destiny" was to be a hooker just like mommy.

Someone raised their hand and asked whether or not people tended to be included a combination of castes? My prof said that, no, most people generally fulfilled one caste in life and that was it.

I really really wanted to put up my hand and suggest that thieving hookers probably existed, therefore having a life that comprised of atleast two castes, but I worried that my humour would go unappreciated.

Hell, I bet there were even thieving hookers who loved to bake!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have pointed out how in the science fiction TV series Babylon 5, the Minbari race was divided into three castes (the warrior caste, the religious caste and the worker caste) and could the professor expound on the similarities and differences?

You know, just to get him all confused.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do miss your brilliant insight regarding matters of mixed castes.... ps: i have all you stuff still pps: call me if you get this tomorrow (friday) we're going out and you are of course invited!

12:09 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

alanna, I'll get you your stuff very soon, don't you worry. I was gonna sell it at a garage sale, but I decided against it. I can't go out tonight though, i have this hellish thing to do tomorrow called WORK. blargh

9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thieving hookers would problaby be an anomoly in hindu faith and problaby considered blasphomous. Which is funny considering that hookers would be just fine.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would have loved to have seen you ask that. it would have lead to some extremely interesting conversation for the open minded.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Krista... said...

your logic impresses me.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Beebo said...

~zing

oh by the way, i think a couple weeks ago i may have seen your dubai-raised friend, she was giving me and 2 other arabs peculiar looks which lead me to suspect she understood our foriegn conversation. from what i recall she wasnt too bad lookin either...!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home